Readers Count is for children who will benefit from extra support to help them keep on track with their reading. A specially trained Readers Count teacher gives children at least three 30 minute lessons a week for a term, individually or in pairs, and a teaching assistant delivers short follow up activities. After a detailed diagnostic assessment, the teacher plans a tailored programme for each child. Rigorous, lively and stimulating lessons develop phonic knowledge and skills, text comprehension and vocabulary development.
- provides targeted use of the Pupil Premium
- supports the new National Curriculum for English
- develops phonic knowledge and skills
- promotes text comprehension and vocabulary development
- creates an ‘in-house specialist’ literacy teacher who helps to raise standards for all children
- provides detailed evidence of progress and impact